Psalm 72 was written by Solomon many years before Jesus came on this earth. He wrote in his wonderful Psalm about, how this present earth is going to be during the thousand years of reign of our Messiah. Though Solomon did not see & know Christ personally, but as per 1 Peter 1:10 & 11 it was the Spirit of Christ in them (prophets), who prophesied beforehand about the sufferings of Christ & the glories that would follow.
After 7 years of great tribulation, Christ with His bride i.e. Church will descend on this earth to rule on this earth for thousand years. So we as Church will also rule with Him on this earth. (Rev.20:6) Satan will be bound with chain & cast into bottomless pit for thousand years, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished. (Rev.20:2,3)
What will be the main things seen in this Millennium Kingdom of Christ according to this Psalm? Let us see what Christ is going to establish on the earth as per Psalm 72.
- Dominion of Christ over earth & kings:- Our Lord Jesus Christ will rule as King of kings over the entire earth & over all the kings of the earth as per verse 8- ‘He shall have dominion also from sea to sea,and from the River to the ends of the earth.’ Kings of Tarshish, Sheba, Seba & of the isles will bring presents & gifts to offer King Jesus. And ALL the kings of the earth shall fall down before Him & nations shall serve Him. Isn’t it wonderful? He shall live & gold of Sheba will be given to Him. (v.10,11,15) People or kings will give pure & fine gold of Sheba to Jesus as a gift/present.
- Abundance of peace & righteousness:-Today, the entire world, including us, are longing for peace, but there is no peace. But there will be peace & righteousness flowing like river in His kingdom. The mountains will bring peace to the people, and the little hills, by righteousness. In His days the righteous shall flourish, and abundance of peace, until the moon is no more. (v.3,7) There will be no wars, terrorism, wickedness, dirty politics & confusion. But law & order will be maintained. Surely, when ‘Prince of Peace’ will reign, there shall be real peace.
- Justice will prevail:-There shall be no more injustice prevailing among poor & needy in His days. There will be no partiality in imparting judgement & justice. Because righteousness & justice is the foundation of His throne. He will bring justice to the poor of the people; He will save the children of the needy, and will break in pieces the oppressor. For He will deliver the needy when he cries, the poor also, and him who has no helper. He will spare the poor and needy, and will save the souls of the needy. He will redeem their life from oppression and violence; and precious shall be their blood in His sight. (v.4,12,13,14)
- Inflation (general increase in prices) will be no more:-There will be no shortage of grain or fruits. Crops will grow abundantly. No more farmer suicides. Food will be of low cost or may be free. Because verse 16 says that, there will be an abundance of grain in the earth, on the top of the mountains; its fruit shall wave like Lebanon; and those of the city shall flourish like grass of the earth.
- Prayer & Praises:-In Verse 15b it is written that, Prayer also will be made for Him continually, and daily He shall be praised. I think, prayer & praises for our King Jesus will be compulsory & offered continually during His reign. There will be no option to make excuses. So we need to make prayer & praise our regular habit from now onwards. There will be righteousness, justice, mercy, love, peace, & truth in His kingdom on this earth, so men shall be blessed in Him & all nations shall call Him blessed. (v.17b)
Our lives on this earth is a training period to rule with Christ in His millennium kingdom. So be faithful in every small thing. Use your talents & gifts to glorify Him. Serve the Lord with fear (Psalm 2:11). And we will receive our appreciation from Him that, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord.’ And we will rule with Him.
Jesus taught in His prayer that ‘Let your kingdom come’ & we will actually see His Kingdom on this earth during those thousand years. What a privilege & blessedness to see His kingdom & to see Him ruling as King of kings! Even so, O Lord Jesus let your kingdom be established on this earth. Amen
Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years. Revelation 20:6