Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Last month we, as a Church, have feasted on the Word of God brought to us by the servant of God, Pastor P. T. Thomas. Let us continue to meditate on the finished work of Jesus Christ on the Cross. In the Book of Romans, which is a letter to the Church at Rome by Apostle Paul, God’s plan of salvation and righteousness for all mankind, Jew and Gentile alike, has been explained.
Apostle Paul explains the two kinds of lifestyle we see in the world. Life according to the sinful nature and life through the Holy Spirit. God sent His own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering to meet the righteous requirements of the law so that those who believe in Jesus and obey God can live a life through the Spirit. As we study Romans 8 we learn,
Those who live life according to sinful nature:-
- Are under condemnation as the law of sin and death is working in them because their mind is set on what the sinful nature desires.
- Their mind leads to death.
- Their mind is hostile to God; does not submit to God’s Law nor can it do so.
- They cannot please God.
- They do not have the Spirit of Christ and do not belong to Christ as they are God’s creation but not God’s children.
Those who live life through the Spirit:-
- Are not under condemnation because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life has set them free from the law of sin and death and they have their mind set on what the Spirit desires.
- Their mind is controlled by the Spirit and has life and peace.
- The Spirit of God lives in them as through faith in Christ Jesus, they have their relationship to God restored and so belong to Christ. Their body is dead because of sin but spirit is alive because of righteousness.
- They please God by putting to death the misdeeds of the body and will live obeying God.
- They are called the sons of God as they have received the Spirit of sonship and the Spirit himself testifies with their spirit that they are God’s children. As children they are heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ. As they share in His suffering, they will also share in His glory.
Apostle Paul said, ‘And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies.’ (Romans 8:11) So the resurrection of their mortal bodies is promised to the believers because of the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, which is seen through their Spirit-filled life and assures them of eternal life. All glory for this great salvation is to the only wise God who through Jesus Christ has revealed the mystery hidden for long ages through the prophetic writings so that all nations might believe and obey Him. (Romans 16:25-27)
In the light of all that we have learnt, let us examine our lives to check if we are living a life pleasing to God by having our minds controlled by the Holy Spirit and in accordance with the Word of God. Only the Spirit of God can assure us in our spirit if we are His children and if He will give life to our mortal bodies.
God bless you!
Share this Post