(Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! ~ Romans 11:33)
Some of the Bible passages, Chapters, or Books may not be interesting to us especially (e.g.) some chapters of Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, etc. It is all about laws & judgments concerning different sins, measurements & materials to build Holy place & its things, different offerings & statutes of sacrifices, instruction towards clean & unclean things, fixing of days of different feasts etc. May God open our eyes that we may see wondrous things from His LAW -Ps.119:18 (even in these passages which sounds not much interesting).
David said in Psalms 19:7-9 that, “The LAW of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul; The TESTIMONY of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; The STATUTES of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; The COMMANDMENT of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; The FEAR of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; The JUDGMENTS of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
Let us see that how sweeter are the laws of the Lord than honey & honey comb. And more desired are they than much fine gold through which we can know Him more.
- He is the original Law Giver ( James 4:12): All law in Indian Penal Code / worldwide concerning violence, kidnapping, theft, property, moral, ceremonial principles, false report / witness originally derived from the Word of God. God had established laws on this earth, first.
- He is the Righteous Judge & executes the justice: His judgments are true & righteous, so He gives right punishment for iniquities of the people. He is the Judge who does not show any partiality. (Exodus 21, 22, 23: 1-9, Leviticus 18,19 & 21)
- He is the excellent Interior Decorator: We can see in Exodus 25: 10-40, chapter 26-27 & 36 : 8-38 that how God had given each & every minute details of length, width, height, & also He was specific about which materials to use e.g. acacia wood, woven linen & pure gold to make The Ark of Testimony, The Table for the Showbread, The Golden Lampstand, The Tabernacle, The Alter of burnt offering, The Court of the Tabernacle. Indeed, He is the excellent in all His ways.
- He is the excellent apparel Designer: God had given artistic & awesome design for Priesthood garments i.e. a breastplate, an ephod, a robe, a skillfully woven tunic, a turban and a sash in Exodus 28. Here also he was specific about colours of thread & garment material i.e. fine woven linen. He had instructed to use precious stones like sardius, a topaz, and an emerald in first row, a turquoise, a sapphire, and a diamond in second row, a jacinth, an agate, and an amethyst in third row & a beryl, an onyx, and a jasper in a fourth row with a gold settings for a breastplate. And for robe, He instructed to make a engraved pure gold signet with ‘HOLINESS TO THE LORD’. This apparel seems like to me heavenly, isn’t it? I think in today’s world this kind of apparel would have been the costliest apparel.
- He is the artistic talent Giver: It is God, who had filled Bezalel the son of Uri & Aholiab the son of Ahisamach with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, to design artistic works, to work in gold, in silver, in bronze, in cutting jewels for setting, in carving wood, and to work in all manner of workmanship to make articles & furniture of Tabernacle. (Ref.-Exodus 31: 1-11, 35 : 10-19 & 30-35)
- He is the original diagnostician: He is the great diagnostician which we can see in Leviticus 13 where He was teaching to Moses & Aaron how to examine symptoms of leprous sore & to take precautions that it would not spread further.
- He is the best food instructor: He has instructed Moses & Aaron about the foods permitted & forbidden i.e. clean & unclean. He had classified clean & unclean animals that are on the earth, creatures that are in the water, birds & insects. (Leviticus 11: 1 to 20) He is a caring father who is interested even in intake (food) of His children also.
- He is Holy: God’s intention of giving laws, judgements, commandments, statutes & precepts to His children because He is Holy & He desires us to be holy. He repeatedly spoke in Leviticus that “Be holy as I am holy”, “For I the Lord who sanctify you, am holy.”
Furthermore, He had also given statutes regarding burnt, grain & peace offerings to the Lord i.e. particular details about where & in what manner it should be done in Leviticus chapters 1, 2, 3.
He is the Maker of the Universe. He is the Creator of our being. Whatever the Lord pleases He does, in heaven and in earth, in the seas and in all deep places. (Ps.135:6) He has made the earth by His power, He has established the world by His wisdom, and has stretched out the heavens at His discretion. (Jeremiah 10:12, 51:15) He is perfect & all His ways are excellent & same excellencies we can see in His laws, statutes, judgments and precepts.
It makes me think that if His laws & works are so amazing, then how much more ‘Amazing’ He must be! When Ezekiel was among the captives by the river Chebar, he saw a vision. In which He described that “Like the appearance of a rainbow in a cloud on a rainy day, so was the appearance of the brightness all around it. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord.” (1:28)
Indeed like a colourful rainbow, He is creative in all His works.
All Your works shall praise You, O Lord, and Your saints shall bless You. (Ps.145:10)
Anjali Jose Benjamin
Share this Post